Monday, April 9, 2007

Cruuuuudd . .

um, someone explain to me how it's Thursday already?

I have _not_ been the devoted blogger I once was. I have a few excuses, but excuses are like assholes, everyone has one and all of them stink.

I suppose blogging has become "low priority" since I started training for roller derby, but I can't help but to think that I should keep blogging regardless of my schedule. I feel like I should continue to blah blah to the pseudo-anonymous void of the internet. As self-centered and vain as most of my entries are, blogging is a good way for me to hop out of my own head, out of my own little universe for a while and make a conscious effort to communicate with people in a passably normal way.

For instance, on Tuesday night, I attended a stretching class that was arranged specifically for my teammates and I. Since rollerderby is essentially controlled combat (yeah, I sell it as an endurance sport because I don't want people to form the opinion that I'm an angry person) we need to be able to recover from knocks and keep ourselves as limber as possible. All of us were learning to do rope-assisted leg stretches so there was alot of squirming and giggling going on with the occasional person sitting upright to watch what everyone else was doing. The instructor said something along the lines of "just wait until all of you can do these stretches in rhythm at the same time, it will be fantastic". Out of my mouth pops "yes, we'll be like starfish migrating across the ocean floor".

Bless the newbie laying next to me who started giggling at me! I wasn't trying to be funny, I didn't even intend to speak - that's just what was going through my head and it made (and makes) perfect sense to me.

I have been doing this since I was a little kid and only rarely have stumbled into an ugly situation because of it, but at the same time would really like to be better at engaging that between-brain-and-mouth filter that other people have or use more often than I do/can.
Not tragic, not really worth whining about, just trying to prevent foot-in-mouth-itis.

My question for you:What was your most notable foot-in-mouth moment? Did the the other person take it well, or were they ticked off?

COMMENTS (harvested from old account)
nikki - 2007-03-08 11:10:56 i have too many moments like those. in fact my foot rarely dislodges itself from my mouth.
-------------------------------
Alie - 2007-03-08 13:40:00 Too many to count! I have been working on my brian mouth filter a lot lately, kinda like a new years resolution. But I still love saying the things I think anyway! Oh yeah! I thought one of my students's anuts was her grandmother by saying "How nice *suzzie* your grandma came to watch you dance today!"
-------------------------------
Betti (me!) - 2007-03-08 14:51:26 Nikki, you must be great at yoga! Alie, that is _not_ the way to get repeat customers! :)
-------------------------------
nikki - 2007-03-09 09:07:32nah, i always fall over and land on my face.

No comments: