Friday, August 10, 2007

Early Nursery Pics . . .

At long last, I'm happy to show off a mostly empty, finally painted nursery!



This is the fantastico star blanket that Madame DeBarge made.
It is by far the coolest thing the kid has received; I'm grateful to have a car seat/stroller, a crib, and a metric ton of baby clothes - but this is the kind of thing you try to keep forever!

I have been hiding this blanket from all my pets, who have a knack for trying to take ownership of my favorite items (or anything I pay too much attention to, possibly depriving them of attention for more than three minutes). To their credit, I have purchased used knit baby blankets from garage sales for them to nap/shed on in the hopes that they spend a little less time shedding on my furniture. As you can see, Suki wasted no time whatsoever in trying to lay claim to the forbidden baby blankie - other than moving the frog hamper over to conceal my painting error, this photo was not staged, no cookie bribery was involved.



Note to self: paint chips lie. Yellow paint is always much more vibrant and bright on walls than you can possibly imagine. I was actually considering getting an even more intense color of yellow - thank goodness I opted for the slightly more subdued color! In person, the color resembles watered-down orange juice, and the dresser is the color of butter. Given that the wine-red carpet was not going anywhere, I'm quite pleased with how this turned out. All the same, I hope the yellow seems less intense once I've got more baby stuff moved into the room.

I had goldenrod/yellow shag carpet in my room when I was little, and one of the walls had fantastic gaudy yellow/gold/orange/brown flowers and vines on a white background. I can only guess that's why I'm inflicting this color scheme on my future baby?

Do you remember how your room was decorated when you were a tiny kid?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the yellow. When I was a kid, I had minty green shag carpet. I had Carebears everywhere. That's all I can remember from being little. Around the time I was 8 or so, I wanted all this Ballerina decor, that I got from my Aunt for Christmas one year. And then I remember doing some sort of 50's Soda Shop theme when I was 12-high school age. After that it was nothing much of a theme at all.

AM said...

SUki is just so dang adorable. Yeah for finishing the painting. Jason finished painting Emma's nursery the DAY we went to the hospital.

Anonymous said...

Very cute ;) The yellow is a nice choice! And the pup sure knows the competition is coming very soon!!

For the Love... said...

Holly Hobbie everything and I think it was all in pink and blue. I'm sure there was some shag carpet too...

The blanket is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Suki! The blanket is amazing and I really love the color of the walls.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Great job on the nursery. I think it looks awesome! OVE the blanket too!

Anonymous said...

Ok, that's a totally awesome color scheme. When I was like 11 or 12 my room in my dad's new house was redone, and it was totally purple. Purple carpet, purple walls, flowery sheets and blankets. Except the furniture was all old and cool and walnut-y, so not TOO over the top.