Wednesday, November 14, 2007

40 weeks pregnant: the waiting game


What better distraction than to get a new digital camera??

It has been the best/worst timing ever that my old digital camera died; I really don't have the "play" money for a non-necessity, but a camera becomes a necessity when there is a baby on the way! I purchased a Canon PowerShot SD1000 yesterday, and so far have been very pleased - it has far more bells and whistles than I probably need, but takes much better indoor shots than my previous camera ever could.

Zachary has laid claim to the baby's Moses basket, it is going to be very interesting to see his reaction when there is finally an infant sleeping in it! Although Suki-pup is younger than Zachary by several years, Zachary has always been my baby - he weighed less than a pound when he found me, and I got to bottle feed him for a few fantastic weeks before he was mature enough for kitten chow. I take it as a very good omen that he is so happy to spend time in the nursery; I like to think I did a good job caring for him as a infant. When he was a few months old and looking much studier, several friends of mine admitted to me that doubted that he would survive - it seemed that most of his weight was parasites. Even in his weak state, he earned nicknames like "Beam of Sunshine" and "PencilNeckMcPooperDoo" by oozing happiness, thankfulness, and stubbornness from every tiny ounce of himself.

I've been told that my baby is going to be on the small side, and rather than wonder if small = unhealthy, I'm feeling just fine about it, with many thanks to Zachary.

* ~ * ~ * ~ *
Addendum: In response to Alie's comment
I had forgotton about Zachary's little "kiss kiss SMACK" incident! In his defense, he -was- provoked!! Alie loves the squeaky sounds that Zach makes when he's good and ticked off, so she had been taunting him for a while. She thought she'd try to make up with him by picking him up like an infant (which he generally likes) and offering up her face for some licking (yes, he likes to lick/groom faces, especially if you have facial hair). Zach gave her two feeble licks on the mouth then stopped - Alison raised her head to say "oh, is that all?" and Zach punched her face (claws not out, he's a gentleman) as hard as a 13-ish pound cat possibly could.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Mnay thanks to Zachary, the little poo that gives you smooches and then bops you on the head. But really, he is a swell little beam of sunshine in this universe as will your baby be.

AM said...

I thought for sure you had gone and had your baby already! You cant just not post like that when you are that pregnant! Sending positive birthing thoughts your way!

Anonymous said...

oh, i remember when you found him! Fleas, ticks and all... and how we bathed him in your kitchen sink... he looked like a drowned rat ;)

Unknown said...

Oh, Betti! Let the nesting begin. How very very exciting. It could be any minute now!!

I know you're going to be an awesome Mom and an awesome pusher.

Anonymous said...

Small is good. Especially during labor.

Chris Cactus said...

Fingers crossed!